Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Christmas Advent Calendar

Apparently, I uploaded photos of my Christmas advent calendar project, but I failed to mention them on my blag.  The Paper Source card contest completely took my attention, and lately, I've been spending a lot of time knitting and crocheting and felting, so it seems as good a time as any to post these photos, finally.



Ta-da!  Twenty-five little baggies, Christmas style.  The numbers are cut out of recycled felt, using the Red Tag Sale alphabet set for my Cuttlebug, and putting them through my Xyron sticker maker.  For the bags themselves, I used a fat quarter I found at Jo-Anns, which I had bought originally to cover buttons, to use in a felt ring advent calendar, like this one I found on Etsy.  But then I realized, advent calendars are fun because there is chocolate contained within!



Chocolate and goodies!  Those are some magnets I found (on Etsy, again) featuring images from Portal; I put the cake magnet in day #25, because I really wanted cake at the end.  Every day had a chocolate and a magnet or a Jibbitz for our Crocs.

In case you were wondering, one fat quarter is not enough to make 25 bags that are 2"x3" in size.  But when I went back to get another, after I ditched the button idea, I couldn't find another, and they didn't have any bolts of the same, so I instead dug through the remnants pile and found some nice silk.



The colour seemed to match, and it didn't require waiting the half hour it usually takes to get fabric cut.  Having never worked with silk, though, I wasn't expecting it to fall apart as easily as it does, so there was some hacking involved to get it to stay.  Even then, I'm not sure these bags will hold up very well to abuse; I cut them too small to do any sort of seam finishing on the inside.  But they did the job, and now they are packed away nicely, in the Christmas box.

No comments:

Post a Comment